Sunday, April 20, 2008

Go go Goaaa!

Have deep pockets. First advice. Enjai. Second advice.

The one incident that will be etched in memory is the banana ride at calangute. Never have friends who will not give full info... atleast don't have them when you get into something like a banana ride!!!

Being the innocent guy that I am, I never knew that you will be thrown into the deep sea taking a banana ride! Me and Joni (I will introduce the characters along the way) took the ride. Not knowing swimming, moi was totally careful to catch onto the straps of the balloon with all might. Once into the sea- a Km inside, I saw the boat take a 90 degree turn. And what more, right inside went the floating balloon on which we sat! And with it went poor me.. with half a mind to let go of the strap and other half still deciding if this was intended or a mishap.. held onto the strap of the balloon underwater :-)

When I could hold my breath no more.. came out onto the surface. Did I have a good laugh afterwards.. yes sir. Sure did. But, plz plz.. make sure to ask all the stupid questions- like what will happen when you take up something you do not know. Its better to be stupid than scary :-)

Hmm... let me give you a peek into the paradise called GOA now-

Hire a bike when you reach Panaji. Usually costs 200-300 bucks/day. We could only get Activa's for the 2 days we stayed on. Here Aniket aka Bhau, Kiran and moi pose in front of St. Andrews. The forth person in trip Joni is busy taking the pic.

Water sports are famous in Goa. One should not miss out on the popular ones- water biking, banana rides, para gliding, rafting, etc. Usually the main beaches in south- Baga, Calangute, Vagator are preferred ones.. Up north Arambol is the best bet.

Roads are quite un-indian. Reminds me of Singapore- winding streets with no pot holes. Most roads have good sign boards with clear indications.

Old Goa! Heaven. I was half convinced that I should settle here during sometime later in my life. Since my school days, I have been in awe of the old churches, cathedrals. Christianity is my second religion I think. St. Francis of Assisi chapel here-

The chapel of St Catherine- Medival Europe come alive.

At the Basilica of Bom Jesus- Red cathedral with towering minarets.. over crowded, worth a visit to offer silent prayers to one of the great saints- Fr Francis Xavier.

The majestic Fort Aguda. Well preserved. Strategically built with a panaromic view of the Arabian Sea.

Chapora fort- lamentable lack of maintenance. We had a wonderful ride through the Chapora village before reaching the fort. Lined on one of the best beaches in Goa- Vagator, this remains one of the unexplored old beauties..

Back in Panaji- the city takes you into 20th century Europe. The architecture, cathedrals, malls, roads, bridges, everything is so symbolic of the times Goa had seen before being passed into Indian hands. Here Bhau gives out a silent prayer to Mary Magdalene. God save Goa and preserve its beauty!

Well folks, hope you enjoyed the short travel piece. Don't spoil the beauty if you do go there. Afterall if you go to Goa once, you are sure to visit a second, third and a forth time.. Keep the place clean for your own sake :-)

Ciao till next time...Harsha

No comments:

Rate it!